Friday, January 18, 2008

Piano

Our ward is a little short on piano players, at least that's what they feel. So the relief society president has organized an enrichment activity that is piano lessons. They are open to the whole ward though. She and the ward choir director are going to be running the lessons. The choir director is a music teacher at one of the local elementary schools. She has 15 keyboards in her classroom and got permission from the principal to use her room for these church lessons. Because it's the school, she has to charge some kind of fee because she is technically "renting" the room for an after school activity. So the charge is $1 per person for the whole 1 1/2 hours she's there. I'm so thrilled. We haven't found a piano teacher for Alexis yet and she's been asking more about it recently. I've also wanted to get Merrit and Makayla started, especially since Merrit's teacher wrote a note on his report card that she felt he should start. This church class really worked out great for us. I just pick the kids up from school on Tuesdays and drop them off at the other school. I'm pretty excited about it and the kids are too. Merrit was hesitant at first, but he tried it at the first class and really liked it. He told me that day he wanted to keep going. I was happy he said that.

3 comments:

kristi said...

That is great, and so cheap!!!!

Hannah said...

That is so awesome! I wish that I had the same opportunity, I would love to learn how to play the piano.

West Virginia Hicks said...

Go Alexis, Merrit, and Makayla!!!! I know it is no possible but I would just love all of my grandchildren to learn to play the piano.

Background