Friday, January 11, 2008

I'm so frustrated!

So I went to pick up the kids from school today. While I was waiting for them to come to the car, I watched Alexis walk down the side walk across the street from me. She's was going to the corner to cross to come to the car. As she walked, the girls who keep bullying her ran up behind her and one of them threw something at her. It hit Lexi's backpack and fell to the ground. As the girl went to pick it up, I got out of the car and crossed the street. She motioned to throw it again, as I heard the othe girl yell something like throw it this way or throw it again. I yelled out to stop her because I didn't know what they were throwing and I wanted them to stop. The girls looked at me and as I approached them I said that that was totally inappropriate and I took the girl who threw the object by the arm to take her with me to the principal. As I took her arm, I said let's go see the principal and motioned for the other girl to come too. She kept on walking and said she didn't do anything. I said yes you did, come on let's go and motioned again for her to come. Then she started to run away yelling you ain't gonna touch me, you ain't gonna touch me. Then the other girl ran too and I turned to go to the principal and behind me I heard the girls saying did she touch you? Did she touch you? We're going to tell? I went into the school and waited for the principal and told her what I had witnessed. She's already dealt with these girls many times before, and I could tell she was frustrated. I asked if there was any way I could talk to their parents. The principal said she couldn't give me their numbers, but she could call them and give them mine. So I went into the office with her and waited for her to call the mothers. The first one she got ahold of was on her way to work and said she'd call me tomorrow. She appologized to the principal and asked her to pass the message on to me. Then she called the other mother and the principal assured me that that mother would call too. The principal was very sorry and tried to console me, but I could tell she was at her wits end with these girls too. When I got to the car, Alexis told me that she heard one of the girls say that I hit her. This was the girl that ran away from me saying that I wasn't going to touch her. I don't know how I was suppose to have hit her if I didn't even touch her.

When I got home there was a call on the caller I.D. that said private name but there was no message on the machine. It may have been the one mother, but I don't know. If it was, I wonder if she'll try to call back. She didn't even appologize over the phone to the principal. I'm not even sure what I'll say to them if they call anyway. I just didn't know what else to do. I want the mothers to know how frustrated I am and how much this is effecting Alexis. I think I'm going to ask them if they have any idea why their girls have singled out Alexis. I really hope that I don't get accused of abuse. It will be my word against theirs because, although there were many people around, I'm sure I won't be able to find anyone in specific who was watching and could back up my story. I suppose this could get ugly. I shouldn't even have touched the one girl in the first place, but I didn't even think about it. It was just natural for me to take her arm to take her with me. I hope this doesn't turn out to be a lesson I learn the hard way. I'm so frustrated with this whole thing. Why can't Alexis just go to school and have a good time and experience? Why does there have to be kids there who pick on her? I mean yesterday someone hocked a loogie on her backpack. Of course she didn't see who it was because she had put the bag down to go play on the playground just before school got out, so we can't even get that person in trouble. But jeez, spitting on someone's stuffs, come on! AHHHHH!

7 comments:

Hillary said...

Thanks for letting me vent.

Hannah said...

I am so frustrated just reading about this. You shouldn't get in trouble for grabbing the child by the arm, in fact that is what my PE teacher is showing us to do when we need to do to stop the child from leaving so that we can give them their warning. But if she lies about you hitting her that is a whole different story. I am so sorry to hear that this is happening. I wish there was something I could do to help. I will keep you all in my prayers.

kristi said...

Hillary, I would have done the same thing. You were protecting Alexis and you have that right. I am sure that Alexis saw you grab her arm and the principal knows that these girls have been causing trouble. What stinks is that some kids are just plain liars and they are obviously some of those. It just really makes me mad that these horrible children are doing this to sweet Alexis. It is just not right. And your right, spitting is not ok. In fact it is just wrong.
In regards to the parents, so people just can't see any wrong in there children even when they are rotten. And that is unfortunate. I hope that you are able to have a civilized conversation with these parents and they are able to recognize that their children have a problem. I mean it is not like they can accuse you of making this bullying up. The principal has knowledge of it. Has the principal had a conference with these parents yet? What does Charlie have to say about all of this?

Hillary said...

The principal has at least had conversations with the parents. I think the principal even mentioned that she just reinstated the one girl I think because of behavior issues. Charlie is upset and frustrated too, but he is in the same spot I am in, that neither of us can really do anything to stop the bullying. I haven't heard from the parents yet. I'll be surprised if they call. Part of me is glad because that means the girls haven't lied to them about me hitting them (because I'm sure they would call if they thought I hurt their kids), but part of me is upset that they aren't willing to talk to me about this. If I don't hear from the parents, I will probably request that Alexis be moved to another classroom. There are 3 5th grade classrooms, and the girls who pick on her are all in her class, if I'm not mistaken. I hope she can be moved to one of the other classrooms so that the girls won't have as many opportunities to pick on her.

Thanks for being understanding and keeping Lexi in your prayers. It's somewhat comforting to know we have support, even if it's far away.

kristi said...

I would definitely try to move her to another class if that is what she wants. Because otherwise I doubt that the bullying will stop. Better to try and take the opportunities away. Some kids are just plain jerks. I hate to say it, but they are.

We will keep her in our prayers and tell her that we love her.

Hillary said...

I talked to one of the mothers lastnight. She was very appologetic and told me her daughter is grounded and will continue to loose priveledges if she doesn't change her ways. She talked about wanting to talk to her daughter about being a good influence to her friends. That would be great, but I'm not sure I believe it will happen. I asked her if she could just talk to her daughter about just ignoring Alexis if she doesn't like her, then the both of them could just avoid each other. We'll see how it goes. I think I'm going to wait a couple of weeks to see if things improve before I move her to another room.

Thanks for the love you send. I'll pass it on to Lexi.

kristi said...

At least you actually spoke to one of the mothers. Now lets hope that it does some good.

Background