Tuesday, June 29, 2010

News

We got some good news yesterday, not. We found out that we won't be paid through the summer. We had set it up that we would be paid through the summer. Teachers have the option of getting paid through the summer or through the school year. Through the whole year is considered a 26 pay period and through the school year is considered a 21 pay period. So we didn't get paid on Friday like we should've. Charlie called payroll yesterday to find out why and we found out that for some reason the school district decided, at the beginning of the school year, to change everyone to the 21 pay period. The union president tried to tell them they couldn't do that without permission and thought that was that. Well, I guess the school district didn't agree with him and went ahead and did it, without notifying people that they did. So we did get a pay increase throughout the year, but we assumed it was the normal annual teacher salary raise. We had no idea what it really was. There is nothing the school district can do now because they have paid him his full contract. So we for sure won't be getting any more pay checks until the next school year begins. What a great thing to have happen, huh? Thank goodness we have some money in our savings. We were holding on to it just in case Charlie didn't have a job in the fall. We will be able to live off of that over the summer, but we're going to have to be very careful with the way we spend it. I think this is probably a good thing because I have become a little bit lackadaisical with spending lately. This will help me get my butt back in gear where I should've been in the first place. It's interesting to me how the Lord gives us learning opportunities. I feel blessed in some ways about this, but I'm still pretty mad at the school for not notifying us. I can't imagine what other people are going to do who don't have a savings account and didn't plan on having a summer job. If they are like us, they already have a good portion of their summer planned with vacations and such and won't have time to get a summer job. Plus, it's not like it's so easy to just go find a job on short notice now-a-days. What a crappy thing to do to your employees. Just one more reason we love Beecher schools.

6 comments:

Hannah said...

That is a bunch of crap!!! I am mad for you that they did this. And Charlie said I should consider working at Beecher, ha.

West Virginia Hicks said...

I wish you didn't have animals. I would pay for your gas here, feed you for a couple of weeks and put you to work on the bathroom downstairs, would pay you for your work to. We are trying to talk Grandpa Hicks into living with us for the summer. I think we might have it. Well our big pitch to him will be that we will fix up the downstairs. Dad doesn't want to do it himself so I guess I will have to learn because i'm to cheap to pay an outsider.

Hillary said...

Animals, shmanimals. We could get someone to watch them. The problem we have is finding the time to come. I'd love to come help though. You know how much I like to do remodeling. But really, we wouldn't be able to come until the 2nd week in August, at the earliest, and by then, summer is almost over and Grandpa would have no time to come live with you. Good luck finishing.

kristi said...

I just can't believe it!!!!!!! We would be in such a heap of trouble if that happened to us. I think with me, I am so crazy about pay day that at the beginning of the school year I'm obsessed with everything on the paycheck. I look at everything on there, taxes, dues, etc and then I compare it to previous paychecks. I'm just weird like that. It makes me wonder if I would even have caught it if it was happening to us?!?!?!?!

I'm really sorry to hear this :( Are you still going to be able to take your trips?

Hillary said...

We are still going on our trips. We have already paid for some of each trip, so to back out would cost us. Besides, we deserve those trips.

kristi said...

Well, that is good then!!!!!

Background