Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Welcome to Rubberville!

I had the first visit from my visiting teachers yesterday. They are a mother/ daughter team and are very nice. The family has 7 kids. They had five and then got pregnant with twins. I don't know if it was an "oops" but can you imagine if it was? What an "oops" to have!They informed me that we live in an area known to the locals as Rubberville. I guess there used to be a factory close to here that was the Rubberville factory. This neighborhood was where all the workers at the factory lived. The factory isn't there any more, but this neighborhood still remains a pretty cheap place to rent. This, we all know, doesn't attract the most cream of the crop bunch of people.

We already knew we weren't in the best part of town, but my visiting teachers confirmed that to me. What's sad is that this neighborhood isn't as bad as a lot of the neighborhoods in Flint. I'd actually compare this one to the one that was just a few blocks over from our house in Flint. Not really life threatening, but not really a place I'd like my kids to get to know people in. We are facing that right now in this neighborhood. Our kids are getting to know the local kids and wanting to go over to their houses and stuff. It's hard for me to know how far to let them go. I really want to keep them safe, but not over-protected and sheltered. I just pray hard that Heavenly Father will keep them safe.

4 comments:

West Virginia Hicks said...

DAD starts work on MONDAY!!! It is offical, I had the wonderful opportunity to call him and let him know. When we get moved I will let you know of any nickname our new community might have.

Hillary said...

Are you still planning on moving after your goats are done giving birth?

We are all very excited for you guys. I know this will be good for all of you.

West Virginia Hicks said...

Our plans right now are to move no later than the end of January. I would like to make it at semester brake but I have not looked up that date yet. I do know that all of our does a bred except 2. One is going down the road this week along with the bucks, the other one is not in good shape to sell (to bad). They should all kid the first week in January if any are later it should only be one or two of them I hope. We saw little babies moving around when we altra sounded them. In fact it was cute Shelby could look and tell if they were bred because she could see the donuts. She was a lot of help
:-)

kristi said...

How cool that Shelby got to be a part of that. It would be very neat to see.

Background