Sunday, February 3, 2008

Unusal week

We just had a real unusual week. The kids didn't have school on Monday because it was records day for teachers to turn in grades for the 1st semester. Charlie only had to work a half day so we decided to go to a children's museum in Rockford, Il in the afternoon. It was lots of fun. The drive was about 2 hours there, but it seemed to be worth it. The day was actually pretty warm. We hit a high of about 46 degrees, which was shorts weather compared to what we've been having.

Tuesday night a super cold front came in and the temperatures went from around 42 degrees to -2 degrees in one day. Then factor in the wind chills and it was about -20 to -30 degrees. We had a wind chills advisory for Tuesday night to Wednesday afternoon. Because there are so many walkers to the schools in the city, the administration decided to close school. So we had another day off. Because the roads were still driveable, we decided to go to another museum. This one was in Milwaukee. It didn't have as many kid-friendly displays, but they had a super awesome aquarium. I'd go back just for that feature.

The next day was pretty cold, but the wind chill advisory was lifted so we had school. But I woke up in the morning to find a flat tire on the van. So I had to walk the kids to school. Boy was that fun in the freezing cold :)! I also had to walk to pick them up. I kept Chelsea home because I had no way to get her to school. Her school is way too far to walk, even if the weather was nice. It turned out we had a nail in the tire, but we got that fixed up when Charlie got home from work.

Thursday afternoon at about 3 it started snowing. It didn't stop until about 9 am on Friday. Needless to say we got about 8 inches, in my opinion. According to the news the official measurement for Racine was 12 inches, but I don't think it looked that deep. So school was canceled again. It made for a nice long weekend. We took the kids sledding yesterday. They have wanted to all winter and we thought we should take advantage of the great blanket of snow that was around.

It is snowing right now as I write this. I don't think we'll get enough to cancel school again, but I could be wrong. I am really just sick of snow. The weather man said the average for the whole season is about 51 inches and with that snow that fell on Friday morning it put us to about 52 inches and the season isn't even over this year. Of course we would move here to witness such great record breaking opportunities.

This week Charlie and I rented 10 videos from the local Family Vidoe. They have old movies that you can rent 2 for $1 and have them for 5 days. So we decided to try to knock some off of our list that we've been making over the years. One of them was The Day After Tomorrow. Charlie and I both liked it a lot. It's definately a movie that gives you an appreciation for the need to have food storage. We also have seen Dodgeball, Memoirs of a Geisha, Catwoman, Electra, and The Forgotten. Charlie watched My Super Ex-girlfriend, but I had seen that one before and didn't care to see it again. We have 3 left. We have liked all that we've seen except Catwoman was a little disappointing. We have until tomorrow night to return them. I hope we can fit the rest in. With the superbowl on tonight though, we may not make it.

Well, in 3 days I will be 30. I never thought being a certain age would make a difference to me, but turning 30 has become a little bit of an issue. It's just weird for me to think of not being in my twenties any more. I feel old. I know I'm not, but to me, the twenties seem to be such a fun, young age. The thirties, from where I am now, doesn't feel like that. I know once my birthday has come and gone, it won't really be an issue anymore, but being on the brink is a little uncomfortable for me.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

I wish they would cancel BYU tomorrow because I just want a day off. I did not get nearly enough homework done this weekend. Just take deep breaths as you think of your birthday, it will all be ok.

kristi said...

Thanks for reminding me about your bday, otherwise I don't think that I would have known. As everyone always says, 30 is the new 20. I don't know what that is suppose to mean, but I think that it means that 30 is just as fun :) That stinks about all the snow, I think that it is suppose to be 80 here tomorrow, but then after that it is suppose to drop back down to the 50s. However, in the morning when we are taking Bradyn to school it is usually in the 30s, so we still have to bundle him up.

Hillary said...

I'll have to keep in mind that 30 is suppose to be just as fun. I'm sure I'll be just fine though.

While we sit around in all this snow, I'll think of you guys in Texas enjoying warm weather. Maybe it will help me warm up. We're suppose to get another 3-7 inches Tuesday night. The more the merrier, right?!?!?!

Background