Saturday, October 10, 2009

Teaching in Utah

Teaching in Utah has been quite the experience so far. What cracks me up the most is some of the things the kids say in relation to the gospel. So I will share some of what has happened while teaching.

While teaching about the Native Americans I asked who were the first people to live in Utah. I told them that the answer was the Native Americans and one boy asked, "What about Adam and Eve?" Needless to say I had to tell them that it was the Indians and that we were not going to talk about Adam and Eve.

Another experience was when we were reading an article about how boys and girls don't have equal rights at school in some countries. I then went on to explain that it is important for there to be equal rights. Tanner raised his hand and said, :But girls can't do everything that boys can do in the church." I chuckled a little bit and this and once again said it was something we weren't going to talk about in class.

I also had one girl come up to me and tell me that she didn't have any envelopes at home. So, she turned her book order money in to me in a tithing envelope. My mentor teacher and I got a real good laugh at this. At least the student relates the tithing envelope with money.

And the best so far is a conversation I had with two of my boys on my birthday.
Andrew: Are you married?
Me: No.
Kayson: Do you have a fiance?
Me: No.
Kayson: Well do you have a boyfriend?
Me: Nope.
Kayson: A puzzled look. "Well why not?!?!"
I laughed so hard because Kayson was just so confused, the poor boy. They have a hard time understanding why I don't have a boyfriend at the age of 26. That is Utah for you. Andrew has brought up the fact that I don't have a boyfriend at least twice now. Good times.

No comments:

Background