Monday, February 9, 2009

We are home owners again!

We were finally able to close on our house on Friday, after so much frustration and work. It will pay off though. It was such a nice birthday present. To top it off, my mom and dad took Charlie and I out to dinner and it was great. I had a really good time. So our first step to fixing the house is to get the skunk out of the basement and then the electrician is coming tomorrow to restring the electric in the basement so we can have power to check the furnace and for power tools and such. We went this weekend to tarp the one part of the roof that was so bad that it started to leak into the house. Yes, we had to do some of it yesterday and break the Sabbath, but Charlie is so busy during the days of the week that we wouldn't have been able to finish it any other way. We are happy it's done now because we have rain in the forcast this week. The roof will have to wait until next month to be fixed. We just didn't want anymore water in the house while we wait. We can't move in until all the work it finished, per our rehab loan rules, so we plan to go as fast as we can. It looks like we will have until April to stay where we are. The redemption period will be up on March 8th and then we will have 30 days after that to be out. We are hoping to get that 30 days extended, but we aren't holding our breath. The realtor who will be listing the house once the redemption period is finished told me that the bank who owns the house doesn't usually let people stay in the house once the redemption period is over. We can't officially ask for permission until the redemption period is over, so we will know more by March. Either way, I'd like to have the work on our new house finished by the first of April just to be on the safe side. We are all pretty excited. I had to pick the kids up from school on Friday so we could make it to the closing on time. We told the kids that I had to pick them up so we could go get my birthday present. So when I picked them up Makayla said to me, "So are you going to see what we get for you?" Because it's suppose to be a surprise, right? I told her that I had to. She asked why they couldn't wrap it so I wouldn't see. I told her that the present was too big to wrap. She said that that was impossible and I replied that the present was as big as a house. She said that was impossible. So I told her it was a house and she got the biggest smile on her face and exclaimed, "We got the house!" Our kids have been waiting for forever to buy that house. In fact, Jaxson said almost everyday to me, "I want to buy the big house." And I'd have to reply that we were trying to. Yesterday as we were leaving, after we had tarped the roof, he started to whine that he wanted to buy the house and we tried to explain to him that we had finally. But I think it's just been so long that we haven't been able to that he just doesn't understand that that has changed now. Yeah for us! Thanks for all your prayers and thoughts on our behalf. We know it helped.

4 comments:

Hannah said...

Congratulations, I am so happy for you all!!! P.S. I think that it is time to change the bachground. :)

Hannah said...

The background looks amazing! Thanks for the change. :)

kristi said...

Congratulations!!!! So, did your friends forclose on the house you are staying in right now?

Hillary said...

The house we are in right now is in the foreclosure process. In Michigan, once a house goes to sherif's sale because of non-payment, the home owner has a 6 month redemption period in which to pay off the mortgage, whether by a refinance or sale of the home. If they do that within the redemption period then the foreclosure doesn't appear on their credit reports. We are in the redemption period and have until March 8th before it expires. After that, we will probably be asked to do "cash for key" with the bank. That means they will pay us cash to get out and leave the house in a swept-clean condition. We should have at least 30 days to get out after the redemption period is over, but we plan to ask for more time. If they won't give it to us, we'll have to get creative. I'm just hoping the repairs on our new house will go so quickly we won't need to have more time here.

Background