Monday, March 3, 2008

A Great Time!

Time Out for Women was this passed weekend. I drove down with the lady who invited me. We went Friday night and came home and then went back on Saturday morning. We figured it saved us hotel stay, but I don't know how worth it that was because we didn't get home until about 11:30 pm and then had to leave at about 6:45 am in order to get back there for the beginning. It was hard to stay awake at some points on Saturday for lack of sleep. I'd probably go for the hotel stay next time. The conference was very good. I was surprised because the one that my mom and I went to in Toledo last year really didn't stick out to me as being all that special. I don't know if the speakers were just that much better, or if I'm at a point in my life that I needed it more now than I did then, but this one was better. I'm so glad I got to go. The points that stuck out to me the most were these:
I need to make more time for just Charlie and I, even overnights, without the kids
I need to teach my kids to govern themselves more, I even bought a book that will help me with this
I need to incorporate service into our family culture
I need to slow down and treat people like they are humans - for example, not yell at someone who has just cut me off, but try to put myself in their shoes and not get so worked up about their actions or don't be so impatient with people in check-out lines at the store because I'm not really in that big of a hurry, am I?
And finally, if I feel like I'm not feeling the spirit or receiving inspiration, what am I NOT doing to keep me from feeling those things? I think this one is pretty important because it's easy to get out of the habit of reading the scriptures and saying your prayers but those things help us to stay spiritually connected.
So overall, I got a lot out of this weekend that will help me improve many aspects of my life.

We received a new bishopbric yesterday. Our previous bishop has served for almost six years. They called his 1st councelor to be the new bishop and the young men's president is the new 1st councelor and the 2nd councelor also came out of the young men's program, but I'm not sure what his old calling was. Needless to say, there will be some other major changes in the ward in the next couple of weeks, but Charlie and I feel pretty confident that we are safe in our callings. It's pretty exciting to be a part of such changes. I'm looking forward to see what comes about because of them. The new bishop is such a great guy. His wife is just outstanding. She is the one that invited me to Time Out and is one of the ones in the ward that I would actually consider my friend (which is saying a lot because I don't really feel befriended by many yet, although I am trying).

1 comment:

kristi said...

I would definitely vote for the hotel stay next time. You know, I wasn't exactly wowed by the Toledo Time Out either. So, I am glad that you had a really great experience. I know what you mean about not feeling befriended by many. I on the other hand could be trying a little harder I think.

Background