Monday, May 16, 2011

Stake Conference Talk

Here is my talk that I gave Saturday night at stake conference and it about your family history so I thought you migh enjoy it.

My brother once said to me why do you want to do Family History it’s just a bunch of dead people buried here and there? Well to me, it’s much more, it’s about children of God just like you and me. Your family tree is also more than just a straight trunk, it has many branches in all directions. As you do your family history you might be surprised in what you find out some good some not so good. One thing I do know is that your love and appreciation for them will grow as you find out what they have gone through for you.

My Grandma Huff was a tough old gal. When I asked her about her father she said she didn’t know much about him or his family for her parents divorced when she was about 3. All she knew was that his family came from Germany to the United States when he was about 9 or 10 years old. Ok I had his name Herman Henry Listeman, a great place to start. After searching on and off for over 10 years I was finally able to put GGranpa Listeman family together. Now this was at a time when I was trying to raise 6 children and when we had to go to the library to do research. Also I had found the name spelt 5 different ways and there was not one census where they were all together because the children were farmed out to work. I was so excited to tell Grandma what I had found out, a family of 10 children and the parents name. When I started to tell Grandma she stopped me and said I know and finished telling me their names and the name of their spouses. Gota love my Grandma.

The Lords will open doors for you if you but asked. I was able to get the orphanage records of Nellie Zimmerman who was my GGma over 20 years ago when those records were not to be released to the public. I found out that after the death of her father, my Great Grandma was placed in an orphanage along with her two sisters and brother. This was done because her mother had St. Vitus' dance, which is the uncontrollable movements, either of the face or of the arms and legs. She couldn’t provide for them. This happened on May 20, 1884 six days later she was made an indentured servant at the age of 10. Indentured servant means that Joseph Chamberlain paid $75 to the State of Michigan for the right to use grandma as a servant until the age of 21. All Mr. Chamberlain had to do at the end of that term was furnish Nellie with two good suits of clothes. They must have liked her for they let her get married at the age of 18 to GGpa Charles Huff. I later found out that her brother died in the orphanage and her two sisters were adopted.

Where would baseball be without Jackie Robinson? Where would have Jackie Robinson been without James Leslie Wilkinson? Where would night time baseball be without James Leslie Wilkinson? How does Wilkinson, Robinson, baseball and night time games, and me all fit together? By finding Mr Wilkinson at a 1930 census it took me into further research and this is how it all fits together.

Leslie was affectionately known to player, sportswriters and fans a "Wilkie". He was the innovative creator and owner of the Kansas City Monarchs, the longest running franchise in Negro National League history. The only white owner upon the founding of the league in 1920, he is credited with developing the first successful lighting system for night games and apparatus which traveled with the team during its cross-country barnstorming trips. His Monarchs supplied the white major leagues with more players, than any other black ballclub. He signed Jackie Robinson to his first professional contract, in 1945. He sold the Monarchs in 1948, and died in poverty in a Kansas City nursing home. Wilkie happens to fit onto one of my branches he is my 1c 2r.

This one is about my GGU and not the most wonderful thing to find out. This article was in the local paper where he lived dated Oct. 1952-Fred W. Wilkinson, 88, died about 8 o'clock Monday morning at the home of his daughter, Mrs. George Cole, R.2, Perry, as the result of self-inflicted knife wounds. Authorities said Mr. Wilkinson had cut his throat with a pocket knife and was dead when he was found a short time later by members of the family. He was believed to have been despondent over ill health.

I love finding out my family history no matter what their story is, no matter how distantly related or even if they are not really related but married my 3GGFather wife’s brothers son. They all fit into my tree somewhere. They really lived they all helped make things the way they are today.

I can’t talk about Family History without talking about a very special temple experience. For that is what Family History is about getting those names and taking them to the temple. Now understand this I knew the names we were going to do during the sealing session because I had given them to the sealer. As Chuck and I kneeled at the alter as proxy for my great-grand parents the sealer said the name Starl Alexander Wilkinson my stomach flip flopped, my heart jumped for joy and I start to cry like a baby. Brother Young, who was acting as proxy for my Uncle Starl patted my hand and whispered it will be all right. I couldn’t say a thing for it was not me who was really crying for I have never felt the spirit so strong in my life for it was Grandma Wilkinson who was crying. Her tear were for the joy she was experiencing. She testified to me that she now felt complete she had her whole family sealed for eternity.

There is a song called White Dress by Kenneth Cope let me read just part of it, In Wichita, Kansas Nettie and Francis bow over breakfast to start off the day. When the voice of the spirit pays them a visit and says it’s time to get with it-there’s family to save. Your father and mother are biding their time. They’re waiting for you to help them get dressed up in white. Well Nettie and Francis are filled with desire, they’re searching through records and feeling the fire. And after each name’s acquired it’s up to God’s mountain where white is applied. And he in his robes and she in her gown they’re doing their best to turn it around. And they won’t rest till all are in white dress.

Brothers and Sister I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is true and the church is making FH easier to do. Heavenly Father is opening the doors more for us every day. One time when you are on the internet take a name that you need more information on and go to familysearch.org. This wonderful sight is where the church is putting all of the film that they are digitizing. Everyone of us have a family members, no matter how distant, who are waiting for us to find them. Collect what information you can when the opportunity arises.

The day will come when you will take a name, a child of God to the temple. There is no doubt in my mind that you will dress them in white. You will present them at the veil to help them gain further light and knowledge that that they need to be able to enter into the presents of our Heavenly Father. Just think of the joy that will be in everyone’s heart when you meet on the other side and they say THANK YOU for taking the time to find me and dressing me in white.

Here is the full article I found on J. Leslie Wilkinsone some of it I did not put into my talk but thought you would enjoy the whole article.

Leslie was affectionately known to player, sportswriters and fans a "Wilkie" and was elected to the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2006. Here is some information that I have learned about him. He was the innovative creator and owner of the Kansas City Monarchs, the longest running franchise in Negro Natioal League history. He was arguably the man most responsible for saving black baseball during the Great Depression, His teams won an unprecedted 17 league pennants and also two Colored World Series. The only white owner upon the founding of the league in 1920, he is credited with develping the first successful lighting system for night games and apparatus which traveled with the team during its cross-country barnstorming trips. His Monarchs supplied the white major leagues with more player, including Jackie Robinson, than any other black ballculb. He signed Jackie Robinson to his first profession contract, in 1945. Prior to the Monarchs, he owned one of the first all-girls barnstorming teams, as well as the multi-ethnic All-Nations squad. He sold the Monarchs in 1948, and died in poverty in a Kansas City nursing home.

1 comment:

Hillary said...

Thanks for sharing this. You are such a good example to me about how enthusiastic I should be about family history. We are suppose to be learning about our heritage so share with the youth on the pioneer trek next month. It's such a great opportunity for me to learn about my heritage. There are some great people in my past who I am thankful for.

Background