Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Canning

I should be doing an accounting quiz right now, but I don't feel like it. I'll do it tomorrow. I'd like to share with you my first time experience I had last week. Charlie and I canned for the first time together and for me it was my first time canning (that I can remember, I think I may have canned with Mom once, but I'm not sure). Charlie's parents brought us a bushel of tomatos from their garden. So we used the ones Mom and Dad had given us from their garden and canned them. We don't have a pressure cooker, so we hot wate bathed them. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, just time consuming. We felt like this is a skill we should learn to do especially as food prices keep going up. We actually got 18 quart size jars. We would've had 19 but one of the cans didn't seal. I thought that was a pretty good ratio for our first time. Maybe next year we'll expand our horizons to include pickles or apples or something like that. Well, I was going to post a picture of our cans, but my converter drive isn't working. I'll have to look for my camera cable tomorrow and post the pictures later. I joked with Charlie that I was becoming a "Molly Mormon" because I've canned now. It's funny how you do things when you get older that you never thought you would do (at least I have).

1 comment:

Hillary said...

O.K. so I just realized that I copied and pasted this from the Hutchinson family's blog and didn't change it to fit the Hicks family's blog, so sorry that it sounds kind of funny.

Background